In 2005, he undertook leadership of a Life-Nature project (www.life-medponds.gr) within HCMR which ended successfully in 2008 and was awarded as one of the best Life-Nature projects of that year at a European level.
In 2007, he was granted a Post-doc fellowship from the Hellenic State Scholarships Foundation for a research project entitled: âAssessing groundwater vulnerability and risk methodologies and quantifying the relevant impacts from land use changesâ. He also became a visitor Lecturer at the University of Ioannina, Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management and taught the modules of Hydrogeology and Hydrology for 3 consecutive semesters. At the same year (2007), he became a permanent Researcher in the Institute of Inland Waters – HCMR.
2000-2005: PhD thesis: ‘Contribution in the Sustainable Water Resources Management in Trichonis lake catchment’, University of Athens, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geology, Greece
1998 â 1999: MSc in Environmental and Ecological Sciences, Lancaster University, UK
1992-1998: BSc in Geology, University of Athens, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geology, Greece
2007 – today: Researcher â project manager in the Institute of Inland Waters / Hellenic Centre for Marine Research,
Main tasks: Developing research proposals, participating and or managing EU and National Research projects in the fields of biodiversity conservation, water resources management and ecohydrology
2004-2007: Research assistant â external consultant in the Institute of Inland Waters / Hellenic Centre for Marine Research
Main tasks: to apply hydrologic and water management models at a catchment scale focusing on environmental conservation practices.
2005-2007: Visitor Lecturer in the University of Ioannina, Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management,
Main tasks: Teaching Hydrology and Hydrogeology courses
2003-2004: Scientific expert in the Greek Ombudsman
Main tasks: Audit Public authorities with respect to the legitimacy of their actions/ decisions. Facilitator in citizensâ and public bodies interactions.
2000-2003: Research Assistant â external consultant in the Institute of Inland Waters / National Centre for Marine Research
Main tasks: Assisting the development of Research projects and conducting eco-hydrological and water management studies
Awards and Recognition
Best-Life project award in 2009 for the Life-Nature project entitled: âActions for the Conservation of Mediterranean Temporary Ponds in Creteâ â MEDPONDS, in which he was the project manager.
Post-doc fellowship from John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation to undertake a research project entitled: âEnvironmental Protection and Sustainable Use of Water in Nestos Delta region: Nitrates Pollution and Coastal Erosion Issuesâ (2008),
Post-doc fellowship from the Hellenic State Scholarships Foundation for a research project entitled: âAssessing groundwater vulnerability and risk methodologies and quantifying the relevant impacts from land use changesâ (2007),
Distinction in the Water Action Contest, under the 3rd World Water Forum held in Kyoto, in March 2003. The project entitled: âSustainable Water Management and Environmental Protectionâ was one of the 150 finalists of the contest.
Distinction (1st prize) in the best Greek scientific project of the year (2001) contest occurred under the International Forum: âHydrorama 2002â (organized by the Athens Water Supply Company (EYDAP)) organized in Athens, on March 2002
Marie Curie grant to attend the series of conferences/ seminars: âECO-IMAGINEâ, European Conferences and forum for Integrated coastal Management and Geo-Information research, MSCF-CT-2003-504444, 2004-2007.
2. Zacharias I., Dimitriou E., Koussouris Th., âDeveloping sustainable water management scenarios by using thorough hydrologic analysis and environmental criteriaâ, Environmental Management Journal, Volume 69, 2003
3. Zacharias I., Dimitriou E., Koussouris Th., 2004, âQuantifying land-use alterations and associated hydrologic impacts at a wetland area by using remote sensing and modeling techniquesâ, Environmental modelling & Assessment, 9: 23-32
4. Zacharias I., Dimitriou E., Koussouris Th., 2003, âIntegrated Water Management Scenarios for Wetland protection. Application in Trichonis Lakeâ, Environmental Modelling and Software, 20, 177-185
5.Dimitriou E. and Zacharias I.,(2005), âClimatic and anthropogenic impacts on the hydroecological regime of a large freshwater bodyâ, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, Vol.40, No:11, pp.1036-1045
6. Dimitriou E. and Zacharias I.,(2005), âQuantifying the rainfall – water level fluctuation process in a geologically complex lake catchmentâ, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 119, 491-506
7. Dimitriou E., Karaouzas I., Skoulikidis N. and Zaharias I., (2006), âAssessing the environmental status of Mediterranean Temporary Ponds in Greeceâ Annales de Limnologie – International Journal of Limnology, 42, (1), 33-41
8. Bertahas I., Dimitriou E., Karaouzas I., Laschou S. and Zaharias I., (2006), âClimate change and agricultural pollution effects on the trophic status of a Mediterranean lakeâ, Hydrobiologia, 34, 349-359
9. Dimitriou E. and Zacharias I.,(2006), âGroundwater vulnerability and risk mapping in a geologically complex area by using stable isotopes, remote sensing and GIS techniquesâ, Environmental Geology Journal, 51, 309-323
10.Zacharias I., Dimitriou E., Dekker A. and Dorsman E., 2007, âOverview of temporary ponds in the Mediterranean region : Threats, management and conservation issuesâ, Journal of Environmental Biology, 28(1), 1-9
11.Dimitriou E. and Zacharias I., 2007, âUsing state-of-the-art techniques to develop water management scenarios in a lake catchmentâ, Nordic Hydrology, 38 No 1 pp 79â97
12.Dimitriou E., Karaouzas I., Sarantakos K., Zacharias I., Bogdanos K. and Diapoulis A., 2008, âGroundwater risk assessment at a heavily industrialised catchment and the associated impacts on a peri-urban wetlandâ, Journal of Environmental Management, 88(3), 526-538
13.Stamati F., Îikolaidis N., Dimitriou E., Koussouris Th., âHydro-geochemical aspects of Mediterranean temporary ponds in Western Crete, Journal of Environmental Quality, 2008 37: 164-173
14. Dimitriou E. & Moussoulis E., 2009, Hydrological and nitrogen distributed catchment modeling to assess the impact of future climate change at Trichonis Lake, western Greece, Hydrogeology Journal, Vol.:18, No:2, pp:441-454
15. Dimitriou E., Moussoulis E., Stamati F., Nikolaidis N., 2009, Modelling hydrological characteristics of Mediterranean Temporary Ponds and potential impacts from climate Change, Hydrobiologia, 634:195â208
16.Karaouzas I., Dimitriou E., Skoulikidis N., Gritzalis K. and Colombari E., 2009, âLinking Hydrogeological and Ecological Tools for an Integrated River Catchment Assessmentâ, Environmental Modeling and Assessment, Vol.:14, Issue: 6, pp:677-689
17.Zacharias I., Parasidoy A., Bergmeier E., Kehayias G., Dimitriou E., Dimopoulos P., 2008, âA DPSIR model for Mediterranean temporary ponds : European, national and local scale comparisons, Ann. Limnol. – Int. J. Lim. 2008, 44 (4), 253-266
18.Ghosn D., Vogiatzakis I., Kazakis G., Dimitriou E., Moussoulis E., Maliaka V. and Zacharias I., 2010, âEcological changes in the highest temporary pond of western Crete (Greece): past, present and futureâ, Hydrobiologia, 648:3â18
19.Dimitriou E. and Zacharias I., 2010, Identifying microclimatic, hydrologic and land use impacts on a protected wetland area by using statistical models and GIS techniques, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 51, Issues 3-4, pp.: 200-205
20.Dimitriou E. & Moussoulis E., 2010, Land use change scenarios and associated groundwater impacts in a protected peri-urban area, Environmental Earth Sciences, DOI 10.1007/s12665-010-0871-1