Address: Institute of Aquaculture, Former American Base of Gournes, Heraklion 71003, Crete, Greece
I have completed my doctoral training at the Department of Biology of the University of Patras. My thesis work focused on the toxicity and pharmacokinetics of Cephalexin and Ivermectin in gilthead sea bream, Sparus aurata.
Following the completion of my Ph.D., I worked as a post-doctoral fellow at the Institute of Aquaculture of HCMR from 2004-2007 where I studied various fish diseases affecting cultured marine species. In parallel, I was in charge for the health management of the fish of Cretaquarium where I was actively involved in the setting up of the quarantine protocols and treatment schemes of the wild fish.
I have a Ph.D in Biology from the University of Patras, Master’s degree in Aquatic Pathobiology from the Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Scotland and Bachelor’s degree in Aquaculture from the Technological Institute of Messolonghi.
• Ph.D., Biology, University of Patras, Greece, 2004
• M.Sc., Aquatic Pathobiology, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Scotland, 1997
• B.Sc., Fisheries and Aquaculture, Technological Institute of Messolonghi, Greece, 1995
• 2007-today: Researcher (Level D), Institute of Aquaculture, HCMR, Crete, Greece
• 2004-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Aquaculture, HCMR, Crete, Greece
• 2004-today: Fish Health Specialist, Cretaquarium, HCMR, Greece
• 1999-2001: Adjunct Lecturer, Technological Institute of Messolonghi, Greece
Scientific and Professional Memberships
• European Association of Fish Pathologists
Ongoing grants and funding
• 2010: BIOEXPLORE, Biotechnology for the exploitation of microalgae, funded by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology, Hellenic Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious Affairs. Coordinator
• 2010: AQUAPHAGE, Network for the development of phage therapy in aquaculture, funded by FP7 Marie Curie, IRSES-2010, EU. Coordinator
• 2010: Alternative Methods for Treatment and Prophylaxis in Greek Aquaculture, funded by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology, Hellenic Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious Affairs. WP Leader
• 2010: KRANIOS, Development of reproduction and rearing methods for meagre, Argyrosomus regius, as a measure for the improvement of competitiveness of aquaculture with the introduction of new species. WP Leader
My research interests are mainly focused on fish diseases. I am studying the diseases of marine cultured and ornamental fish with emphasis on the new aquaculture species. Currently I am working on the use of bacteriophages as an alternative method to control bacterial infections in fish hatcheries. My research interests include also the study of parasitic, viral and environmental fish diseases.
• Katharios, P., Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J., Kapata-Zoumbos, K., and Spiropoulos S. 2002. Toxicity of intraperitoneally injected ivermectin in sea bream, Sparus aurata. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 25: 99-108.
• Kantzaris, V., Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J. Katharios, P., and Kaspiris, P. 2002. A comparison of several biotic indices used for quality assessment at the Greek rivers. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 11: 1000-1007.
• Katharios, P., Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J., Antimisiaris, S., Kantzaris, V., and Pavlidis, M., 2002. Pharmacokinetics of ivermectin in sea bream, Sparus aurata, using a direct competitive ELISA. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry 26: 189-195.
• Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J., Kantzaris, V., Katharios, P., Kaspiris, P., Georgiadis, Th., and Montesantou, B. 2003. An application of different bioindicators for assessing water quality: a case study in the rivers Alfeios and Pineios (Peloponnisos, Greece). Ecological Indicators 2: 345-360.
• Katharios, P., Pavlidis, M., and Iliopoulou – Georgudaki, J. 2004. Accumulation of ivermectin in the brain of sea bream, Sparus aurata after intraperitoneal administration. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 17: 9-12.
• Katharios, P., Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J., Antimisiaris, S., Verri, T., Toma, P., Acierno, R., and Maffia, M., 2004. Pharmacokinetics of cephalexin in sea bream, Sparus aurata (L.), after a single intraperitoneal injection. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 20 (5): 422-426.
• Katharios, P., Smullen, R.P., and Inglis, V. 2005. The use of the polychaete worm Nereis virens eggs as a vehicle for the delivery of oxytetracycline in Solea solea larvae. Aquaculture 243: 1-7.
• Katharios P., I.E. Papadakis, A. Prapas, C.R. Dermon, K. Ampatzis, and P. Divanach. 2005. Mortality control of viral encephalopathy and retinopathy in 0+ grouper, Epinephelus marginatus after prolonged bath in dense Chlorella minutissima culture. Bulletin of the European Association of Fish Pathologists 25: 340-343.
• Katharios P., Papandroulakis, N., and Divanach, P. 2006. Treatment of Microcotyle sp. (Monogenea) on the gills of cage-cultured red porgies, Pagrus pagrus, following baths with formalin and mebendazole. Aquaculture 251: 167-171.
• Katharios, P., Hayward, C., Papandroulakis, N. and P. Divanach. 2006. Pathology of Lamellodiscus sp. (Monogenea) parasitizing the gills of Diplodus puntazzo (Cetti, 1777) and treatment with formalin. Bulletin of the European Association of Fish Pathologists 26(5): 196-201.
• Pavlidis, M., W.C. Futter, P. Katharios and P. Divanach. 2007. Blood cell profile of six Mediterranean mariculture fish species. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 23: 70-73.
• Katharios, P., Agathaggelou, A., Paraskevopoulos, S. and Mylonas, C. C. 2007. Comparison of Iodine and Glutaraldehyde as surface disinfectants for red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) and white sea bream (Diplodus sargus sargus) eggs. Aquaculture Research 38: 527-536.
• Katharios, P., Garaffo, M., Sarter, K., Athanassopoulou, F. & Mylonas, C. C. 2007. A case of high mortality due to heavy infestation of Ceratomyxa diplodae in sharpsnout sea bream (Diplodus puntazzo) treated with reproductive steroids. Bulletin of the European Association of Fish Pathologists 27: 43-47.
• Katharios, P., Papadaki, M., Papandroulakis, N., Divanach, P., 2008. Severe mortality in mesocosm-reared sharpsnout sea bream Diplodus puntazzo larvae due to epitheliocystis infection. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 82, 55-60.
• Ternengo, S., Quilichini, Y., Katharios, P., Marchand, B., 2008. Sperm ultrastructure of the gall bladder fluke Anisocoelium capitellatum (Digenea: Cryptogonimidae), a parasite of Uranoscopus scaber (Pisces: Uranoscopidae). Parasitology Research 104, 801-807.
• Rigos, G., Katharios, P., 2010. Pathological obstacles of newly-introduced fish species in Mediterranean mariculture: a review. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 20 (1), 47-70
• Katharios, P., Tsigenopoulos, C. First report of nodavirus outbreak in cultured juvenile shi-drum, Umbrina cirrosa (L.), in Greece. Aquaculture Research 42(1), 147-152
• Georgakopoulou, E., Katharios, P., Divanach, P., Koumoundouros, G. Effect of temperature on skeletal deformities in Gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata, Linnaeus 1758). Aquaculture 208(1-2), 13-19
• Rigos, G., Katharios, P., Papandroulakis N. Single intramuscular administration of long-acting oxytetracycline in grouper (Epinephelus marginatus). Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences 34(5), 441-445.
• Katharios, P., Rigos, G. Divanach, P. Enteromyxum leei (Myxozoa) a lethal intruder of tropical pet fish: first case in humphead wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus (Rüppell, 1835). Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine 20(2), 138-143.
• Katharios, P., Papadaki, M., Ternengo, S., Kantham, P.K., Zeri, C., Petraki, P.E., Divanach, P. Chronic ulcerative dermatopathy in cultured marine fishes. Comparative study in sharpsnout sea bream, Diplodus puntazzo (Walbaum). Journal of Fish Diseases 34(6), 459-474
• J. Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, Kaspiris, P., Kantzaris, V., Katharios, P. 1999. Study of the seasonal fluctuation of the ecological quality of the Rivers: Kalamas, Acherontas, Alfios, Pinios with the use of benthic macro-invertebrates as bioindicators. 21st Conference of the Hellenic Society of Biological Sciences, Syros 1999. pp 91-92
• Katharios, P., Kapata-Zoumbou, Κ., Iliopoulou-Georgudaki, J. 2000. Toxicity of intraperitoneal administered ivermectin in sea bream, Sparus aurata. 22nd Conference of the Hellenic Society of Biological Sciences, Chios 2000, pp 56, 60.
• Leonardos, I., Katharios, P., Charisis, C. 2001 Age and growth of Carassius auratus gibelio (Linnaeus, 1758) (Pisces: Cyprinidae) in Lake Lysimachia (W. Greece). 10th Panhellenic Conference of Ichthyologists, Chania 2001. pp 257-259.
• Katharios P., I.E. Papadakis, A. Prapas, C.R. Dermon, K. Ampatzis, and P. Divanach. 2004. Mortality control of VNN disease in 0+ grouper, Epinephelus marginatus after prolonged bath in dense Chlorella minutissima culture. European Aquaculture Society, Biotechnologies for Quality, Barcelona, Spain, 20-23 October 2004. pp. 455-456.
• Katharios, P., Papandroulakis, N., Hayward C., Asderis, M., Divanach, P. 2006. Parasitic monogeneans in cultured fish in Crete. Methods for treatment. 8th Congress of Oceanography and Fisheries, HCMR 4-6 June p 245.
• Katharios P., Sterioti A., and Divanach P. 2006. Cretaquarium: Aquatic animal related challenges in setting up a new public aquarium. International Symposium in Aquatic Animal Health, San Francisco 2-6 September. p. 149.
• Katharios P., Garaffo M., Sarter, K., Athanassopoulou F., Mylonas C. C and Divanach P., 2006. Mortality of steroid-treated sharpsnout sea bream, Diplodus puntazzo caused by Ceratomyxa diplodae (Protozoa: Myxosporea). International Symposium in Aquatic Animal Health, San Francisco 2-6 September. p. 148.
• Katharios, P., Papandroulakis, N., Papadaki, M., Syggelaki, E., Tzamarias, D., Gounalaki, N., Divanach, P., 2008. Pseudomonas putida infection in captive wreckfish Polyprion americanus. A case report, Aquaculture Europe 08. European Aquacultrure Society, Krakow, Poland, pp. 307.
• Papandroulakis, N., Mylonas, C.C., Syggelaki, E., Katharios, P., Divanach, P., 2008. First reproduction of captive-reared wreckfish (Polyprion americanus) using GnRH implants, Aquaculture Europe 08. European Aquaculture Society, Krakow, Poland.
• Tevdoradze, E., Kokashvili, T., Skhirtladze, N., Balarjishvili, N., Tskhvediani, A., Lashkhi, N., Kutateladze, M., Tediashvili, M., Katharios, P., Papandroulakis, N., 2008. Isolation and preliminary characterization of Phages specific to Mediterranean fish pathogens, Phage Biology, Ecology and Therapy Meeting, Tbilisi, Georgia.
• Katharios P. 2010. Experimental study on Head and Lateral Line Erosion Syndrome. EUAC Meeting 2010, Cretaquarium, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
• Katharios, P., Kokkari, K., Papadaki, M., Papandroulakis, N. 2011. Systemic granulomas in cultured meagre, Argyrosomus regius. Aquaculture Europe 11. European Aquaculture Society, Rhodes, Greece
• Bastias, R., Higuera, G., Castillo, D., Espejo, R., Tedishvili, M., Kutateladze, M.,Tevdoradze, E., Kokashvili, T., Katharios, P. 2011. Phage isolation and phage therapy against fish bacterial pathogens. Aquaculture Europe 11. European Aquaculture Society, Rhodes, Greece
• Katharios, P., Divanach, P., Georgakopoulou, E. and Koumoundouros, G. (2009). Temperature limits for gilthead sea bream and sea bass. In Manual of Control of Malformation in Aquaculture. FEAP
• Zambonino-Infante, J.L., Katharios, P., Koumoundouros, G. & Tandler, A. (2009). Recommendations on prevention of malformations in seabass and seabream. In Manual of Control of Malformation in Aquaculture. FEAP
Popular articles in international journals
• Ternengo, S., Katharios, P., (2008). Microcotylid parasites: an emerging problem in Mediterranean cage aquaculture, Fish Farming Expert 5, Bergen, Norway, October 2008
• Katharios, P. (2009). Transition from hatchery to cages. Considerations for proper health management in sea bass and sea bream farming. Fish Farming Expert 4, Bergen, Norway, August 2009
• Katharios, P. (2010). Infectious fish diseases in Mediterranean mariculture. Fish Farming Expert 5, Bergen, Norway, October 2010